Re: whois broke again?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sun Feb 20 03:32:20 2000

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 08:11:39 MST, Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>  said:
> Absolutely, unless assumming "us" == NANOG.  But that's between
> each NSI customer and NSI, not NANOG and NSI.  And as an NSI
> customer, once escalated to this level, it's something that I'd

Umm.. note that if NSI drops the Whois information regarding one
of their customers on the floor, that's between *me* and NSI,
not between NSI and the customer.

I at least *HOPE* that the majority of Whois queries are people
looking for contact information for *other* sites, rather than
paranoid "is my entry still OK?" queries.  If the latter, we have
a serious problem.  If the former, it's *still* not between NSI
and the customer, because the customer who's info I'm trying to find
doesn't *know* that I'm unable to find it.  And if I had the info
so I could tell them... I wouldn't be looking in Whois in the first place.

Also, note that "between each customer and NSI" is exactly the sort
of reason why the concept of a class action lawsuit exists.  I'm not
saying one is needed, just mentioning the logic behind it....

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech