Re: Does Anyone Care?

  • From: Brian Dickson
  • Date: Fri Feb 11 12:41:09 2000

>  But why would the interface always transmit broadcasts to the FDDI
>  interface in Spokane and show excessive latency at anytime of the day
>  that you try to connect/send an echo reply at it.

A) Because *multicast*, when sent on a *broadcast* media like FDDI, is
sent as *broadcast* packets (to avoid replication);
B) Because multicast is very VIP2 CPU-intensive, doing all kinds of funky
things - we see that on very low utilization, there is high CPU. This in
turn shows up as latency *to* the router, but not *through* the router
(different switching paths).

Basically, this is normal, and ~5Mbps is about right for this traffic.

--
Brian Dickson,                                    Email: briand@teleglobe.net
Director, Backbone Engineering                    Tel  : +1 703 755 2056