Re: Yahoo offline because of attack (was: Yahoo network outage)

  • From: Paul Ferguson
  • Date: Tue Feb 08 12:24:56 2000

Declan,

This is a very complex issue, and made the DDoS BoF last
night even more lively. ;-)

Read RFC2267. More people should be doing it, and most of
these silly problems will go away.

- paul

At 08:31 PM 02/07/2000 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:

Yahoo told me on the phone that it's a malicious attack, and Global Center
says the same thing. In Yahoo's words: "a coordinated distributed denial of
service attack."

We've got a brief story up at:
   http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,34178,00.html

The problem apparently originated with a router. But what kind of attack
could have taken the network offline for that period of time and not
affected other Global Center customers? I mean, there had to have been a
gaping security hole somewhere: It looks like the routes got lost for
(nearly) all of the Yahoo network, but no other non-Yahoo sites...

-Declan