RE: Napster & other bandwidth hogs

  • From: Charley Kline
  • Date: Mon Jan 24 16:02:50 2000

> Since these apps are becoming more and more prevalent, as college
> students are
> huge collectors of digital music, and as bandwidth is always a
> concern, I am
> wondering what others in either the educational or business community are
> doing in light of this.  Even having logistical information such
> as, "close
> ports x, x, and x" would be of assistance.  I'd just like to have some
> ammunition in case others higher on the food chain ask for this to happen.

The decision to block access to napster here was made at a higher level than
this writer, so I can't speak to the policies involved. I can however,
without further comment, reproduce the access list that seems to have
effectively cut them off:

    deny ip 208.49.228.0 0.0.0.255 any
    deny ip 208.184.216.0 0.0.0.255 any
    deny ip 208.49.239.240 0.0.0.15 any
    deny ip 208.178.175.128 0.0.0.7 any
    deny ip 208.178.163.56 0.0.0.7 any

It's the second line that gets most of the hits.

--
Charley Kline, Principal Research Programmer                 kline@uiuc.edu
Data Communications Architect                                (217) 333-3339