Re: Effects of traffic shaping ICMP (&c.)

  • From: Craig A. Huegen
  • Date: Wed Dec 02 18:05:53 1998

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 03:57:08PM -0500, Mark R. Lindsey wrote:

==>Could traffic shaping, or similar QoS configurations, be used to solve
==>such issues in a more general way? For example, if my source of packet
==>flooding is ICMP, then I'd like to be able to dedicate as much as 1/10th
==>(e.g.) of the bandwidth of each link to ICMP. That's plenty of ICMP, but
==>it's not so much that an attack using ICMP would be effective.

Sure.

Check out my Smurf paper at http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.html

It has information on using Cisco's Committed Access Rate (CAR) feature
to rate-limit traffic such as ICMP echo/echo-reply and TCP SYNs.

/cah