Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Wed Sep 02 14:02:30 1998

> Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 13:32:31 -0400
> From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
> Sender: owner-nanog@merit.edu
>
> Actually, I think this issue dates back to when Network Solutions thought
> they "owned" the database, and had some plans to sell it.  There was a lot
> of pushback to that idea, which they eventually dropped. But they have
> still resisted letting anyone else have the full database.
>
> I don't think they are actually concerned so much with abuse as they are
> with trying to maintain or establish a proprietary control over the
> database.  Of course, "abuse prevention" is a good cover for proprietary
> control.

ESnet had no problems getting access to the databases from NSI. We
just asked, explained why we wanted access and promised not to use it
improperly. I think we had a password to FTP the files in less than a
day.

This does not sound like "proprietary control" (though I'm unsure what
this is).

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)