Re: Transaction Based Settlements Encourage Waste (was Re: BBN/GTEI)

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Sat Aug 22 12:24:24 1998

> From: Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
> They aren't legitimate if the sole purpose of the method is to create
> traffic; that would be fraud. A webcrawler would be fine if it was for a
> search engine but not if you just ran it and discarded the data.

Are you telling me that your model requires examination of the content
of packets, and auditing the "legitimate" internal practices of the
hosts?

Are you telling me that I should not duplicate packets, as that would be
"fraud"?

Are you telling me that I should not fill my pipe with duplicate Acks,
as that would be "fraud"?

Michael, go home, take the weekend off, and in your spare time, re-read
RFCs 1 to 1123.  Take special note that duplication of packets is
permitted, even encouraged.

Your model does not correspond to the Internet.

WSimpson@UMich.edu