RE: Q:Why router with ATM interface comes out earlier than pure SONET interface?

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Mon Aug 03 19:50:46 1998

> If the cell size was 1505 or larger would it still be lower efficiency
> than 53 bytes? Sooner or later they'll probably try to come up with ATMng
> won't they?

It is already here.  Called IP.  IP over SONET.  With lots of IP QoS
mechanisms bolted on.

That is, if somebody can figure out a way to do private line (circuit
emulation) through an IP cloud.  ATM will be an interim step, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz, BellSouth Corp., Sr. Network Architect  <ck@bellsouth.net>