Re: WorldNIC

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Wed Jun 10 14:42:58 1998

At 09:53 AM 6/10/98 -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>

>The MITRE Corporation registered mitre.org in 1985 and the Aerospace
>Corporation registered aero.org in 1987. This idea that .ORG was only for
>non-profit organizations is an example of historical revisionism
>propogated by people who were not there at the time the TLDs were created.

Well, if one draws ones references from "DNS and BIND" (First Edition) by
Albitz and Liu, which is widely accepted as a definitive resource on DNS,
on page 21, the refer to .org as "Non-commercial organizations, like the
Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org)".  This is further propogated in
the Second Edition on page 18.

RFC 1591 which defines it as a miscellaneous TLD came along two years later.

RFC 920 (1984) defines it for domains that don't fall under the .COM, .NET,
.GOV, etc, singling out commercial entities for .COM exclusively.  That
kinda leaves .org for noncommercials by inference.

Then again, there used to be a requirement to have OPERATIONAL name servers
when registering a domain, but that seems to have gotten historically
revised away also when $$$ entered the picture.  But I digress...

Damn revisionists anyways ...

>--
>Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
>Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael@memra.com
>http://www.memra.com           -  *check out the new name & new website*

Eric Germann                       Computer and Communications Technologies
ekgermann@cctec.com                                      Van Wert, OH 45891
                                                        Phone: 419 968 2640

http://www.cctec.com                                      Fax: 419 968 2641

Network Design, Connectivity & System Integration Services
A Microsoft Solution Provider

"Linux.. the choice of a gnutered generation." - brad@poofy.tbn.tm