Re: Why does Sprint have address filters again?

  • From: Doug Humphrey
  • Date: Mon Jun 01 08:53:18 1998

> Charging reasonable costs (ie: the kind of fee that the Driver License
> bureau charges, ergo, $10 or so) for the first ASN is reasonable.

The drivers license world defrays their fixed overhead costs
across millions of drivers a year who get renewals done - there
are not that many ASNs and other things done a day.  Again, as
a businessman Karl, you should understand that already.

> Charging a lot more (say, $1,000) for the second and subsequent ASNs (or
> even an increasing fee, say $1k per ASN, so the second is $1k, the third
> $2k, etc) is also reasonable.  Why?  Because there are ways to skin the cat
> that don't require this, and if you're going to use more than a trivial
> amount of a limited resource then a "resistor" is reasonable on that use.

You are either charging a price to defray costs, or you are
changing a price to encourage/discourage behaviour.  In the
two cases, the answers to "what is the correct price" are
radically different, so we need to decide what the goal is
before determining if the current price is good or bad.

Doug