Re: Network Operators and smurf

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Apr 24 17:25:41 1998

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 03:19:23PM -0400, Rusty Zickefoose wrote:
> 2.	Routers/Gateways should be configured to drop all packets with
> invalid source addresses.
>
> The problem is us.  This isn't a research network run and maintained by
> the knowledgable.  This is a business.  We're selling a product, and if we
> expect it to operate as advertised, it's up to us to educate those we sell
> it to.

The problem isn't us.  It's cicso, and Bay, and Ascend, and... everyone
who won't put an anti-forging filter on their border routers so we
_can_ turn it on.  The first time someone co-sues cisco, it'll get
fixed with 30 days.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com