Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Fri Oct 31 14:25:04 1997

[ On Fri, October 31, 1997 at 09:29:11 (-0600), John A. Tamplin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful
>
> Yes, that is precisely what we do.  However, what I pointed out was that
> if the ISP they dial into blocked all traffic to port 25 elsewhere, as
> was suggested, then they wouldn't be able to get to their virtual host
> residing here to send out mail.

One easy way around this problem is to forge closer relationships with
the ISPs your customers use for connectivity.  One of the easiest ways I
can think of doing this would be to become a member of a roaming service
like iPass and through that become a virtual ISP where you effectively
purchase connectivity time from dial-up providers and resell it to your
users.  Then since you're providing the authentication of your users you
can also provide in their profile a list of SMTP relay hosts that they
should be permitted to connect to.  Your users would then be free to
choose to dial into any iPass dial-up provider anywhere in the world at
any time without even needing an account opened with the particular
dial-up provider they happen to be able to get through to today.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>