Re: Handling DNS for temporary address pools

  • From: Robert A. Pickering Jr.
  • Date: Sat Jun 14 13:40:56 1997

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, David Hares - ADP Autonet wrote:

> For that matter, how do most people handle temporary address pools?  Do
> they even bother with DNSing them?
>
> --
> David L. Hares, Senior Staff Programmer

You've got to provide at least the reverse entries.  Otherwise, many
websites will perform a lookup/timeout cycle that will delay the delivery
of pages several seconds (depending on the server).  This will make your
users believe you have a "slow" connection, because they just see
their browser waiting.

Of course, you probably then want the forwards, because lots of sites
use paranoid wrappers to prevent DNS spoofing, and will deny you access.

Just my $0.02 worth.  I plan to always DNS forward and reverse my ports.

-Rob

--
Robert A. Pickering Jr.                Internet Services Manager
Cincinnati Bell Telephone              rob@fuse.net

           A Rough Whimper of Insanity (Information Superhighway)

PGP key ID: 75CAFF7D 1995/05/09
PGP Fingerprint: B1 63 0C 09 D8 2E 5D 69  BB 61 A2 92 22 37 63 C3