Re: connectivity outside the US

  • From: Circuit
  • Date: Sun Jun 01 03:23:09 1997

Hi all,

I have been following this thread with some interest.  A few months ago a
friend of mine from Fore Systems told me about the 'ACTS' project. NASA and
Ohio-State and quite a few others were doing research into the Gigabit
Satelite Network. There was a test between Sony in Japan and I 'BELIEVE'
JPL in Pasadena of hight def video transmissions over an OC-3 circuit. I
heard something about a quasi commercial deployment of another ACTS
project. Anybody heard anything about this? If enough birds like ACTS were
sent up, this could be a boon for ISP's maybe. Of course I live in this
ideal world where everybody is reasonable, intelligent, and well yea I know
things are just quite the opposite.

If MCI/AT&T/NTT/GTE put this into motion then were doomed, but if Hughes
(read someone who doesn't own an ISP yet) put one up, it might be a bit
more promising. Who knows...

comments, rants, flames?
 ----