Re: "routing table slots" and the real problem

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sun Mar 02 18:03:26 1997

On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Mike O'Dell wrote:

> managing the complexity of the graph is the only alternative,
> and generally the only way to manage tne complexity is through
> aggregation.

In this case aggregation is a way of building a tree structure in the same
way the Route reflectors are used to build a tree structure in the iBGP
and route servers are used to build a tree structure in the eBGP. However,
when you look at the details of actual route computations over time you
should see a significant occurence of the identical calculation producing
the identical results. In a reasonably stable network this should be
amenable to some sort of caching system that can shortcut the route
computations and provide a more linear characteristic as the route table
grows.

Is anyone doing any work on this whether in the vendor or the academic
community?

> whether we have other alternatives
> over time is an open question.

Time has a tendency to create alternatives; we should never discount the
possibility even if we choose not to rely on it happening.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com