F means filtered ?

  • From: Jim Fleming
  • Date: Sun Feb 16 19:11:32 1997
  • Encoding: 38 TEXT

@@@@ http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/html/nanog/msg01537.html

Re: root servers more debug data
.To: nanog@merit.edu
.Subject: Re: root servers more debug data
.From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
.Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 13:41:28 -0800
.Sender: owner-nanog@merit.edu

Btw,

> Root nameserver F is not reachable from my network.

I can't imagine why that would be so.  Against my better judgement,
I permit both traceroute and ping to this host.

@@@@@@@@@@@

Paul,

Are you saying that you never "filter" packets from
selected networks...?...thus, denying service to
people trying to access the "public" Root Name
Server that you operate...
...and also denying access to http://www.cix.org

Does the F stand for "Filtered"...?

--