RE: peering charges?

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Mon Jan 27 05:01:07 1997

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> In fact, the only significant change in 90s was demise of "reseller"
> surcharges -- which was something i was instrumental in transplanting
> from Russia to US (an ISP in Russia i founded with friends in 1990
> created an enormous infrastructure by _subsidizing_ local ISPs by means
> of "wholesale" pricing and technology transfer; in effect we reinvented
> franchise business).   The lack of the high entry barrier for small ISPs was
> what got Sprint into big league, and made it possible and practical
> for mom-and-pop ISPs to bloom (which they did immediately).

Ahhh, so now it comes clear. The modern public Internet is the direct
result of Gorbachev's perestroika policies in the former USSR.  :-)

When you're on a dinosaur photo safari, be careful not to step on any
butterflies...

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com