Re: Domain names for ISP infrastructure links

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Thu Jan 09 15:14:00 1997

>>>   1.  Bind implementation enforcing character set restrictions
>>>       should be observed by system configurators.
>> Pecularities of any particular implementation of a protocol should be
>> irrelevant.  We should read the RFCs.
> We intend that there be no difference between the effect of following
> either of above recommendations.

And that is well and proper from an implementor's view.  But a natural and
unavoidable difference between specification and implementation will remain.

When looking for definition one should look at the RFC, not at code in some
aribtrary language which runs on some arbitrary set of machines.  When
looking for clues on how one might hack it, the inverse is true.  Both have
their uses.

randy