Re: Customer AS

  • From: Henry Kilmer
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 21:07:02 1996

Vadim Antonov writes:
>In my (rather extensive) practice, multihoming by itself is
>usually a major source of connectivity problems.

Agreed.

>Whoever arguing _for_ mulihoming for everyone forgets that
>taking more routing information in has dangers not present
>when you don't do routing yourself.
>
>I never saw any customer who had the ability to configure a
>multihomed site properly on their own; and most of the bogus
>routing information comes from multihomed customer sites.
>
>It is _much_ better to multihome to the same provider who then
>can take care of messy global routing.

Agreed.

The arguement here (if there is one) is that their is a demand in the
marketplace for multihoming to different providers and what is the
best way to treat these customers.  Sprint's filtering is a good
arguement for having multiple Sprint connections or non at all.  The
customer that is multihomed to Sprint and a different provider,
however, is still paying Sprint to move their bits around even if
their Sprint connection goes down.

I support all incentives to reduce the number of multihomed customers.

>--vadim
>
>PS  A UPS for CPE usually fixes 95% of transmission problems.
>    I've seen people willing to spend money on multihoming but doing
>    things on commercial power.

And not plugging their routers into outlets on light switches would
also help.

-Hank