Re: links on the blink (fwd)

  • From: Curtis Villamizar
  • Date: Tue Nov 07 00:08:42 1995

In message <199511062018.PAA08597@home.merit.edu>, "Steven J. Richardson" write
s:

>   Uh...  Michael, when we were running the NSFNET, as Hans-Werner and
>   many readers of this list are well aware, we did _not_ accept 10% packet
>   loss on any link or across the network.  These problems stayed with
>   the NSFNET NOC until resolution by the provider, MCI.  We only considered
>   -0%- loss to be acceptable.

Steve,

Enough of your wild stories of -0%- loss.  :-)  The correct figure was
10^-5 for acceptance with 10^-4 being the maximum threshold we would
accept on a running circuit before contacting MCI to take the circuit
in a maintenance window for diagnostics.  That doesn't mean we
wouldn't bug MCI to get the circuits back perfectly clean.  ;-)

We still have the same criteria.  I think MCInet is also as vigilant.

Curtis