Re: US Domain -- County Delegations

  • From: Geert Jan de Groot
  • Date: Fri Jul 28 06:30:44 1995

On Thu, 27 Jul 1995 19:56:35 -0700  Paul A Vixie wrote:
> Everyone, large and small, has to be treated as equally as possible.  And
> the domain names have to be quite a lot uglier than they are now, such that
> the tendancy to register under .NET,.COM,.ORG,etc just to protect the company
> name or trademark(s) will no longer bear useful fruit for those who do it.

As far as I know, there is no 'congestion' on the 800-namespace.
maybe, one of the reasons is that these 'records' have a fixed, 7-digit
length, and 'vanity' numbers have the same length as ugly ones,
spreading the load.

Maybe we should enforce a minimum length on any complete domain name?

Geert Jan