PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Data-adaptive trimming of the Hill estimator and detection of outliers in the extremes of heavy-tailed data
by Shrijita Bhattacharya, Michael Kallitsis, Stilian Stoev The Institute of Mathematical Statistics and the Bernoulli Society 2019
- Detection of False Data Injection Attacks in Smart Grids Based on Forecasts
by Michael G Kallitsis, Shrijita Bhattacharya, George Michailidis 2018 IEEE International Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Smart Grids, October 2018
- A Next Generation Repository for Sharing Sensitive Network and Security Data
by Michael Kallitsis University of Michigan Ann Arbor United States, January 2018
- Understanding the Mirai Botnet
by Manos Antonakakis, Tim April, Michael Bailey, Matt Bernhard, Elie Bursztein, Jaime Cochran, Zakir Durumeric, J. Alex Halderman, Luca Invernizzi, Michalis Kallitsis, Deepak Kumar, Chaz Lever, Zane Ma, Joshua Mason, Damian Menscher, Chad Seaman, Nick Sullivan, Kurt Thomas, and Yi Zhou, Proc. 26th USENIX Security Symposium (Sec ’17), August 2017
- An ISP-Scale Deployment of TapDance
by Sergey Frolov, Fred Douglas, Will Scott, Allison McDonald, Benjamin VanderSloot, Rod Hynes, Adam Kruger, Michalis Kallitsis, David Robinson, Nikita Borisov, J. Alex Halderman, and Eric Wustrow Proc. 7th USENIX Workshop on Free and Open Communications on the Internet (FOCI ’17), August 2017
- Using Cyber-Security Exercises to Study Adversarial Intrusion Chains, Decision-Making, and Group Dynamics
by Rege, A., Adams, J., et. al., in the Proceedings of the 16th European Conference on Cyber Warfare and Security, University College Dublin, IE, 29-30 June 2017.
- Diagnosing False Data Injection Attacks in the Smart Grid: a Practical Framework for Home-area Networks
by Adrian Padin, Yeabsera Kebede, Maxwell Morgan, Davis Vorva, Atman Fozdar, Richard Kalvaitis, Nikolas Remley, Samir Tout, Michael Kallitsis, accepted at the 1st EAI International Conference on Smart Grid Assisted Internet of Things, July 2017.
- Adaptive Statistical Detection of False Data Injection Attacks in Smart Grids
by M. G. Kallitsis, S. Bhattacharya, S. A. Stoev, and G. Michailidis, published at the 2016 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing, Washington, DC, December 2016.
- AMON: An Open Source Architecture for Online Monitoring, Statistical Analysis and Forensics of Multi-gigabit Streams
by Michael Kallitsis, Stilian Stoev, Shrijita Bhattacharya, George Michailidis. Merit Technical Report (Merit-TR-2016-01), March 2016.
- AMON: An Open Source Architecture for Online Monitoring, Statistical Analysis and Forensics of Multi-gigabit Streams (presentation slides)
Presented by Abhishek Balaji Radhakrishnan. ACM Internet Measurement Conference 2016, Work-in-Progress, Tools, and Datasets (WIP) session, Santa Monica, California, November 2016.
- AMON: An Open Source Architecture for Online Monitoring, Statistical Analysis and Forensics of Multi-gigabit Streams by Michael Kallitsis, Stilian Stoev, Shrijita Bhattacharya, George Michailidis. in IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1834-1848, June 2016. doi: 10.1109/JSAC.2016.2558958
AMON’s source code is on github
- Leveraging Internet Background Radiation for Opportunistic Network Analysis
Presented by K. Benson, A. Dainotti, K. Claffy, A. Snoeren, and M. Kallitsis. Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), October 2015.
- Correlative Monitoring for Detection of False Data Injection Attacks in Smart Grids
By Michael Kallitsis, George Michailidis and Samir Tout. Appearing in IEEE SmartGridComm 2015, Miami, Florida, November 2015.
- Correlative Monitoring for Detection of False Data Injection Attacks in Smart Grids Presentation
Presented by Michael Kallitsis, George Michailidis and Samir Tout. IEEE SmartGridComm 2015, Miami, Florida, November 2015.
- Taming the 800 Pound Gorilla: The Rise and Decline of NTP DDoS Attacks
By Jakub Czyz, Michael Kallitsis, Manish Karir, Manaf Gharaibeh, Christos Papadopoulos, Michael Bailey. Published in IMC ’14 Proceedings of the 2014 Conference on Internet Measurement Conference, November 2014.
- Estimating Internet Address Space Usage through Passive Measurements
By Alberto Dainotti, Karyn Benson, Alistair King, Michael Kallitsis, Eduard Glatz, Xenofontas Dimitropoulos. Published in ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, December 31, 2013.
- Understanding IPv6 Internet Background Radiation
By Jakub Czyz, Kyle Lady, Sam Miller, Michael Bailey, Michael Kallitsis, and Manish Karir. In Proceedings of the 13th ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement (IMC ’13), Barcelona, Spain, October 2013.
- IPv6 Pollution Traffic Analysis
Presented by Manish Karir, Jake Czyz, Kyle Lady, Sam Miller, Michael Kallitsis, Michael Bailey. Presented at RIPE66, Dublin, Ireland, May 2013.
- The Reputation of Networks: RIPE Region; ARIN Region; LACNIC Region
Presented by Manish Karir and Kyle Creyts. RIPE 63, NANOG53, LACNIC2011 in October 2011.
- ARMD Statistics
By Manish Karir and Jim Rees. IETF 81, Quebec City, Canada, July 2011.
- ARP Traffic Study
Presented by Jim Rees and Manish Karir. NANOG52, Colorado, June 2011.
- Towards Network Reputation – Analyzing the Makeup of RBLs
Presented by Manish Karir, Kyle Creyts, Nathan Mentley. NANOG52, Colorado, June 2011.
- Internet Routing Registry
Presented by Larry Blunk. NANOG51, Miami, February 2011.
- Internet Pollution – Part 2
Presented by Scott Walls and Manish Karir. NANOG51, Miami, February 2011.
- Doing More with Less: End-to-End Consistent IPv4 Address Sharing
By Manish Karir, Eric Wustrow, and Jim Rees. Poster Paper in Proceedings of IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, Dublin, Ireland, May 2011.
- Internet Background Radiation Revisited
By Eric Wustrow, Manish Karir, Michael Bailey, Farnam Jahanian, and Geoff Houston. In Proceedings of the 10th ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement (IMC ’10), Melbourne, Australia, November 2010.
- Regional Botnet Detection
By Jake Czyz and Manish Karir, Merit Network; Micheal Bailey, University of Michigan; Dave Dittrich, APL – University of Washington; Michael K. Hamilton, City of Seattle. Presented at NANOG49 Security BOF, San Francisco, June 2010.
By Manish Karir and Eric Wustrow, Merit Network; George Michaelson and Geoff Huston, APNIC; Micheal Bailey and Farnam Jahanian, University of Michigan. Presented at NANOG49, San Francisco, June 2010.
- An ARP Based Approach for Port Scavenging and IPv4 Address Sharing
By Manish Karir, Eric Wustrow, and James Rees. Merit Technical Report, April 2010.
- BGPBotz: IM Based Route View Bot
By Eric Wustrow and Manish Karir. Presentation at North American Network Operators Group (NANOG 47), Dearborn, MI, October 2009.
- PE-ARP: Port Enhanced ARP for IPv4 Address Sharing
By Manish Karir, Eric Wustrow, and Jim Rees. Presentation at North American Network Operators Group (NANOG 47), Dearborn, MI, October 2009.
- A Survey of Botnet Technology and Defenses
By Michael D. Bailey, Evan Cooke, Farnam Jahanian, Yunjing Xu, and Manish Karir.. In Proceedings of the Cybersecurity Applications & Technology Conference For Homeland Security (CATCH ’09), Washington, District of Columbia, March 2009.
- Improving the Accuracy of Routing Registry Data
By Manish Karir, Larry Blunk, Todd White, Kevin Chan, and Pat Pannuto. Presentation at North American Network Operators Group (NANOG 44), Los Angeles, CA, October 2008.
- Characterizing Dark DNS Behavior
By Jonathan Oberheide, Manish Karir, and Z. Morley Mao. Presented at the 4th International Conference on Detection of Intrusions & Malware, and Vulnerability Assessment (DIMVA), July 2007.
- Honeyd Detection via Packet Fragmentation
By Jon Oberheide and Manish Karir. Merit Technical Report, January 2006.
- Analyzing BGP ASPATH Behavior in the Internet
By Dionysus Blazakis, Manish Karir, and John S. Baras. Presented at the 9th IEEE Global Internet Symposium, April 2006.
- BGP-Inspect: Extracting Information from Raw BGP Data
By Dionysus Blazakis, Manish Karir, and John S. Baras. Presented at the IEEE/IFIP Network Operations & Management Symposium (NOMS), April 2006.
- Flamingo: Visualizing Internet Traffic
By Jon Oberheide, Michael Goff, and Manish Karir. Presented at the EEE/IFIP Network Operations & Management Symposium (NOMS), April 2006.
- Extracting Information from Network Data
By Manish Karir. Presented at the IFIP Workshop on Infrastructure Security and Operational Challenges of Service Provider Networks, June 2006.
- VAST: Visualizing Autonomous System Topology
By Jon Oberheide, Manish Karir, and Dionysus Blazakis. Presented at the ACM 3rd International Workshop on Visualization for Computer Security(VizSEC,) Nov 2006.
- New BGP Analysis Tools and a Look at the AS9121 Incident
By Larry Blunk and Manish Karir. Presented at the Internet Engineering and Planning Group (IEPG) – 62nd IETF, Minneapolis, March 2005.
- Internet Hardening via Routing Registries
By Larry Blunk and Manish Karir. Merit Technical Report, April 2005.
- Tools and Techniques for the Analysis of Large Scale BGP Datasets
By Dionysus Blazakis, Manish Karir, and John S. Baras. Presented at the North American Network Operators Group (NANOG-34), Seattle, May 2005.
- The BGP-Inspect Project
By Manish Karir, Jon Oberheide, Dionysus Blazakis, John Baras. Presented at the North American Network Operators Group (NANOG-35), Los Angeles, October 2005.
- RPSLng Status Update
By Larry Blunk. Presented at the North American Network Operators Group (NANOG), Reston, VA, October 2004.
- ATEMU: A Fine-grained Sensor Network Simulator
By Manish Karir. Presented at First IEEE International Conference on Sensor and Ad Hoc Communication Networks, (SECON’04), Santa Clara, CA, October 2004.
- Inter-domain Routing Security and the Role of Internet Routing Registries
By Larry Blunk. Presented at the Internet Engineering and Planning Group (IEPG), San Diego, August 2004.
- Towards a Cohesive Internet Routing Registry System
By Larry Blunk. Presented at the Inter-domain Routing Workshop (IDRWS ’04), Amsterdam, May 2004.
- Lambda Grid, Grid Computing and AAA
By John Vollbrecht. Merit Techical Report, April 2004.
- Predicting Bandwidth Demand and Network Planning Implications on the Internet
By Mary Eileen McLaughlin and Jim Moran. March 2004.