Press Release Guidelines
An excellent way to leverage your organization’s Member status with Merit Network, Inc. is to highlight that relationship in a press release. The Merit Network Press Release Guidelines are in place to maintain the continuity of the Merit Network brand and to support all Members’ desires to publicize their relationship with Merit Network. Please read the following Guidelines closely.
If your organization is not a Member of Merit Network, Inc., please refer to the following Guidelines when preparing a press release that contains the use of the Merit Network name, involves Merit in any way, or makes reference to a Merit Member with regard to information technology (IT), network connectivity, or network resources and services.
For press release approval, or further questions, please contact Pierrette Templeton (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The benefits of publishing a press release with reference to Merit Network include:
- Publication of your press release on the Merit Network website, in the current news and news archive sections.
- Distribution of the press release over at least one of three Merit Network news feeds with a total of over 490 registered subscribers, including representatives from regional and national news and media sources.
- Display of your press release on The Merit News and Events Widget, which is featured on the websites of Merit Network and many Merit Members.
- Brand recognition and association with America’s longest-running regional research and education network and Michigan’s exclusive Internet2 connector.
- Promotion of the success of your organization or institution among more than 400 Members and 600 Merit connections within the Merit research and education community.
- Increased potential for collaboration with another Merit Member in Michigan or Internet2 member world-wide from increased awareness.
Referencing Merit Network, Inc.
As Merit Network, Inc. has grown and evolved over its four-decade history, the official title of our organization has undergone some changes. The following standards are in place to help clarify these changes. Please refer to these guidelines, FOR ALL COMMUNICATIONS using the Merit Network, Inc. name:
- Merit Network, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, owned and governed by 12 four-year public universities in Michigan.
- The terms “Merit Network” and “Merit Network, Inc.” may be used by media, researchers etc. as covered by fair use, but may not be altered in any way.
- The first time Merit Network is referenced in an article, it must include Merit’s full title: “Merit Network, Inc.”
- After “Merit Network, Inc.” is mentioned once, it is acceptable to refer to Merit Network, Inc. as “Merit” or “Merit Network.”
- DO NOT write out “Merit Network, Incorporated.”
- DO NOT include Merit in all caps, as in “MERIT,” per acronym which was Merit’s previous title.
- DO NOT include “the” in Merit’s title, as in “The Merit Network, Inc.” or “The Merit Network.”
Merit Network is to be used in reference to the Merit Network organization. If you wish to refer to our fiber-optic backbone, or fiber network, DO NOT capitalize network, as in “the Merit Network.” Please refer to it as “the Merit network,” or Merit’s “fiber-optic backbone,” or Merit’s “fiber network.”
Boiler Plate Language and Media Contact Policy
All press releases referencing Merit Network, Inc. must include an “About Merit Network” paragraph that contains Merit Network Boilerplate language and a link to the Merit home page. The Merit Boilerplate may not be altered in any manner. See example below.
In addition, please list Pierrette Templeton as a media contact after the “About Merit Network” paragraph and include the relevant contact information. See example below.
About Merit Network
Merit Network, Inc., a nonprofit corporation owned and governed by Michigan’s public universities, owns and operates America’s longest-running regional research and education network. In 1966, Michigan’s public universities created Merit as a shared resource to help meet their common need for networking assistance. Since its formation, Merit Network has remained on the forefront of research and education networking expertise and services. Merit provides high-performance networking solutions to Michigan’s public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare, and other non-profit organizations.
For information regarding the use of the Merit Network logo and the logos of Merit Network services, see the Merit Network Logo Usage Policy below.
For information on how to obtain a quote from a Merit spokesperson or for information regarding the news item approval, see the Merit Spokesperson Quote and Approval Process Policy below.
For information regarding costs associated with the distribution of press releases and endorsements, see the Merit Network Associated Cost and Endorsement Policy below.
Please allow at least five (5) full business days for the approval of all press releases bearing reference to Merit Network or quoting a Merit spokesperson. Though it may be possible, Merit cannot guarantee approval sooner than five (5) full business days.
Merit requests that all Members issuing press releases or announcements referencing Merit Network notify Merit’s Marketing department with the following information:
- Planned date of the announcement
- Scope and type of announcement (e.g. press release, news item; locally, nationally)
- If appropriate, please list the publication in which the article will appear
- Any associated requirements, deliverables and deadlines for Merit’s Marketing department
- Advance approval from other Merit Members is required if they are mentioned in the press release
Review requests should be submitted to Merit’s Marketing department at email@example.com.
The Merit Network logo or any other Merit Network trademarks, wordmarks or servicemarks may not be used without the expressed written consent of Merit Network, Inc. Neither the Merit Network logo nor wordmark may be used in connection with any product or service that is not related to Merit Network, or in any manner that is likely to be confusing or misleading.
Non-member organizations who wish to use the Merit Network logo to imply affiliation with, or endorsement by Merit Network must request written permission to do so. The logo may then only be used for the single iteration of that stated purpose and in the manner for which permission is granted.
The Merit Network logo may be used by Merit Member organizations without expressed written consent, so long as it is not altered, cropped or combined with other images. Examples include: project websites, Member websites and information material.
To receive an image of the Merit Network logo for use, in jpeg or pdf format, please send a request to our Marketing department to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the purpose for which you are requesting the logo and how it will be displayed, also specify any sizing requests (minimum sizing 44 pixels X 20 pixels).
The Merit Network Logo is comprised of:
Unique lowercase script in large-point font, reading “merit”
DO NOT reposition, redraw or recreate the logo in any way. Any Merit Network logo your organization intends to use shall be provided electronically by the Merit Marketing department.
DO NOT crop or alter the dimensions in any way (e.g. do not drag a corner of the jpeg to fit so that the proportions are skewed). The smallest possible size of logo our Marketing department will provide is 44 pixels x 20 pixels.
The Merit Network logo is intended to be printed and displayed on white backgrounds only. If your organization plans to print or display the Merit Network logo on a background that is not white, please notify Merit in the logo request. The Merit Network logo cannot be printed or displayed on black backgrounds.
*Note: Per request, the Merit Network logo can be adapted for grayscale printing and display. Please DO NOT perform this adaptation yourself. Rather, Merit’s Marketing department will send you a grayscale version of the logo.
Service Logo Usage Policy
All services offered by Merit Network are the property of Merit Network, Inc. Merit’s ownership extends to all servicemarks and visual representations of those services, including but not limited to brands such as Merit RADb. In order to maintain the continuity of Merit Network services and sustain their value to the Merit Member Community, the following guidelines have been set forth.
Any Merit Network trademark, wordmark or servicemark may not be used without the expressed written consent of Merit Network, Inc. Merit Network services logos and servicemarks may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not related to Merit Network, or in any manner that is likely to be confusing or misleading.
Non-member organizations who wish to use a Merit Network service logo to imply affiliation with, or endorsement by Merit Network must request written permission to do so. The logo may then only be used for the single iteration of that stated purpose and in the manner for which permission is granted.
Merit Network service logos may be used by Merit Member organizations without expressed written consent, so long as no logo is altered, cropped or combined with other images. Examples include: project websites, Member-affiliated websites and information material.
To receive a Merit Network services logo for use, in .jpg or .eps format, please send a request to our Marketing department to email@example.com. Please include the purpose for which you are requesting the logo and how it will be displayed, also specify any sizing requests (minimum sizing 44 pixels X 20 pixels).
Any photographs displayed on any Merit Network web page or in the title banners or used as icons or in the margins for spotlights and press releases may not be used in any way without the expressed written consent of Merit Network, Inc.
Organizations and individuals who wish to use photographs displayed on any Merit Network web page must request written permission to do so. The photograph must display the text “Courtesy of Merit Network” either as a caption or photo description, or within the lower margin of the photograph.
To receive permission to use a Merit Network web page photograph, please send an e-mail request to our Communications department to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the purpose for which you are requesting the photograph and how it will be displayed, also specify any sizing, format or resolution requests.
- Merit Network will NOT endorse product sales or discounts
- Merit Network will NOT endorse product launches
- Merit Network will NOT endorse specific member products or services