Re: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement ConcerningComcast's Actions

  • From: Joe Provo
  • Date: Mon Nov 29 18:16:02 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:49:48PM -0600, Aaron Wendel wrote:
> A customer pays them for access to the Internet.  If that access demands
> more infrastructure then Comcast needs to build out the infrastructure and
> pass on the costs to the customers demanding it.

s/Comcast/Level3/

> I think it sets a very bad precedent that Level3 agreed to their terms.  How
> long would it have lasted with Comcast subscribers asking why they couldn't
> download their movies?

Considering L3 was recently skating the border of the pink sheets,
it should be no wonder that it is a very different response than
the one given to Cogent, for example.  Then again, who blinked first
there?  It is amusing that the once-disruptive L3 is seeking to
defend its position in the so-called "tier 1 " carte^Wcabal by running
to the regulators.  I wonder how its fellow members of the club will
like the idea of feds poking into their business when both sides of
the equation are examined...

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE