Re: Only 5x IPv4 /8 remaining at IANA

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Thu Oct 21 07:41:57 2010

On 2010-10-20 22:19, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On 10/20/10 12:51 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
>> Jeroen Massar wrote:
>>> (And the spammers will take the rest...)
>>
>> I am afraid so too.
>>
>>> (PS: There seems to be a trend for people calling themselves"IPv6
>>> Pioneers" as they recently did something with IPv6, if you didn't play
>>> in the 6bone/early-RIR allocs you are not a pioneer as you are 10 years
>>> late)
>
> Oddly the nameserver in my closet seems to still have
> /var/named/reverse/3.1.8.e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa	in it's collection of zones.

That must be a pretty new nameserver then you have there, seeing that
first of all it all started out with ip6.int and 3ffe::/16 was the
second interration of the 6bone, before that we actually used 5f00::/8
with, if I recall correctly, the 16 bit ASN going after the first 8 bits
and then some reserved bits and the IPv4 /24 where the host was, some
bits for the subnet and then finally 48bits for the MAC (not EUI-64)
address. Thanks for Surfnet.nl for giving me a chunk out of that and
hooking me up to the rest of the 6bone ;)

And the e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa took a long time to materialize actually, thus
it is a miracle that you have a zone file for that as it was only used
for only a year or so.

>> Who died and made you boss of "Pioneer Naming Authority"?
>
> If you remember it, you weren't there.

(I don't see how one can forget a death when you are present at the
location) Nevertheless, the internet is a global thing, thus 'there' is
what we call Earth. The answer is much simpler, there is no boss, just a
lot of people who are doing a lot of things for a long time already.

But as you wonder who died in the process of IPv6 getting here while
doing major contributions:
 Jun-ichiro "itojun" Itoh Hagino - the IPv6 Samurai
 Jim Bound - who did an amazing amount of work for IPv6

RIP guys...

Greets,
 Jeroen