Re: IPv6 PI block is announced - update your filters 2620:0000::/23

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Fri Sep 15 18:38:58 2006

Call me naive, but could somebody enlighten me as to what tangible benefit filtering out bogon space actually achieves? It strikes me that it causes more headaches than it solves.
the theory is that it means you have no route to send responses back to an attacker who uses tcp, i.e. a spammer.

the practice is that spammers use holes or super-blocks of allocated, i.e. not bogon, space. they are not stupid.

so your point is well taken.

randy