Re: Spain was offline

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 16:55:59 2006

At 03:50 PM 9/1/2006, Joe Abley wrote:

On 1-Sep-2006, at 15:07, Martin Hannigan wrote:

Well, let's rephrase that. Anyone can't get a TLD zone?
While there are many smaller TLD zones that don't get updated very
often and which have wide-open AXFR to all and sundry, I'm betting
that the majority of zones that people on this list care about either
update sufficiently rapidly that zone synchronisation is non-trivial,
or have zone transfer restrictions in place, or both.

Good information. Thanks.

What could F or I do if an operator were advertising
those blocks internally? Consider them no different than
blackholes. It's the same concept.
If you want an answer worth reading, then ask ISC or RIPE. I'm sure
this is something that has occurred to them to think about.

I could pontificate about the freedom of individual operators to do
whatever they please versus the wider issue of coherence and
consistency in the DNS, but it'd just be so much Friday-afternoon noise.

Now I'm disappointed because I know you have some likely
excellent thoughts on this topic regardless of who you are
working for, or have worked for, but I completely understand.

Thanks, I enjoyed it. :)

/me back to lurk

--
Martin Hannigan (c) 617-388-2663