Re: 2006.06.06 NANOG-NOTES IDC power and cooling panel

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Jun 08 14:22:52 2006

> Dan Golding, 30 seconds, what would each person like
> to see the folks on other side do to help.

Did anybody mention cogeneration? At least some
of that waste heat is turned into electricity
which reduces the total consumption off the
grid.
http://www.polarpowerinc.com/products/generators/cogenset.htm

And what about risks? As you increase the active
cooling of your IDC, you reduce the ability to
survive power outages. This is another reason
to separate hot customers from cool. In the event
of a power outage, your cool customers who have
better heat engineering do not have to share fate
with the lazy hot customers. Here I am referring to
server customers who do have choices to use more
efficient hardware, improve the power efficiency
of their software, and do things like server
virtualisation to reduce the CPU count in your IDC.
The embedded systems industry has plenty of experience
in reducing power consumption through both hardware
and software improvements.

--Michael Dillon