Re: Zebra/linux device production networking?

  • From: Albert Meyer
  • Date: Tue Jun 06 18:12:52 2006

Linux routers are great for redundantly routing between your cable-modem and DSL at home. Using a linux router in production is a very very bad idea, although it may seem appealing to suits with no networking knowledge. I'm sure that other posters will provide you with many pages of reasons why linux routers suck, but I'll keep it short.

1. Mean Time Between Failures
2. OS exploits
3. Service/support

Nick Burke wrote:
How many of you have actually use(d) Zebra/Linux as a routing device (core and/or regional, I'd be interested in both) in a production (read: 99.999% required, hsrp, bgp, dot1q, other goodies) environment?