RE: BCP for Abuse Desk

  • From: Mark Borchers
  • Date: Tue May 30 21:53:09 2006

> Subject: Re: BCP for Abuse Desk

(various good stuff deleted for brevity)

>   3d) Make sure your ToS allows nuking a spamming/abusive host.
>   3e) Then *use* that clause in the ToS when needed.

Each of the ISP's I worked for had such a clause.  I felt it
was a double edged sword.  The only choices were to use it or
not to use it, and on non-clear cut cases the business side of
a company may be reluctant to heave a paying customer out the
door.  I would advocate service contracts that allow a graduated
response including, but not limited to, getting rid of the
customer.  That way, there are penalties available even in cases
of "unintentional" network abuse.