Re: AW: Odd policy question.

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Fri Jan 13 20:05:53 2006

On 13-Jan-2006, at 19:20, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:
Let me attempt to bring this back to the policy question.

Does someone have the *right* to put one of your IP addresses as an NS
record for their domain even if you do not agree?

Registrar policies imply that this is so, and has been this way for a
long time.
Once upon a time, registrar/er policies did NOT allow this.
That's a little over-broad considering the number of registries there are (and have been, for a long time). I think it's fair to say that even if this was once the case for COM/NET/ORG registries, there are many more registries where this was never close to being true.

It seems to me that if someone else chooses to insert 32- or 128-bit integers of their choice into their zone files, then there's properly very little I can or should be able to do about it. But that's just me.

Joe