Re: Cisco, haven't we learned anything? (technician reset)

  • From: Jay Hennigan
  • Date: Thu Jan 12 19:37:33 2006

Rob Thomas wrote:

Hi, NANOGers.

] On the other hand, the most common practice to hack routers today, is
] still to try and access the devices with the notoriously famous default
] login/password for Cisco devices: cisco/cisco.

This is NOT a default password in the IOS.  The use of "cisco" as
the access and enable passwords is a common practice by users, but
it isn't bundled in the IOS.  I've heard it began in training
classes, where students were taught to use "cisco" as the
passwords.
Actually, and fairly recently, this IS a default password in IOS. New out-of-box 28xx series routers have cisco/cisco installed as the default password with privilege 15 (full access). This is a recent development.

To be fair, the box also has a huge default login banner urging the user to delete that username/password pair. But we all know how much attention is paid to huge, verbose banners, disclaimers, click-to-agree dialog boxes, etc.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay@west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc. - http://www.netlojix.com/