Re: do bogon filters still help?

  • From: Daniel Roesen
  • Date: Wed Jan 11 22:09:09 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:21:30AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Hi, here's a member of 'the folks at bit.nl'.  Just a quick note to
> > say that we have been sourcing IPv4 packets from 192.88.99.1 at a rate
> > of 2.000 to 10.000 packets per second since early 2003, so I'm guessing
> > we have sent some 750.000 billion packets by now.
>
> And this is just so wrong.  You should use an address you own as a
> source address.

You may want to review the discussion there:
http://dict.regex.info/ipv6/ngtrans/2002-01.mail/0083.html

I'm undecided wether it's The Right Thing to do, so I just want to
provide this pointer.

> Otherwise, packets tend to get dropped by filters.

By which ones? Folks with too much time feeding their paranoia, or is
there any actual realistic attack to prevent by filtering packets with
source 192.88.99.1?

Regards,
Daniel

--