Re: do bogon filters still help?

  • From: Rob Thomas
  • Date: Wed Jan 11 13:18:52 2006

Hi, Steve.

] So -- I'd like people to re-examine the question.  Does anyone have more
] recent data on the frequency of bogons as a percentage of attack
] packets?  What would that number look like if you filtered just the
] obvious -- the ranges given above, plus the RFC 1918 prefixes?  Are
] your defenses against non-spoofed attacks really helped by the extra
] filtering?

Great question, and we're eager to hear the results as well.  Our
study is well past its prime, to be sure.

Thanks,
Rob.
--
Rob Thomas