Re: Two Tiered Internet

  • From: Per Heldal
  • Date: Wed Dec 14 08:07:32 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:41:54 -0800 (PST), "David Barak"
<thegameiam@yahoo.com> said:
> --- Michael.Dillon@btradianz.com wrote:
> > Simple. You give the consumer the ability to fiddle
> > with
> > the QoS settings on the provider's edge router
> > interface.
> > After all, they are paying for the access link.
>
> eeek!  I assume you mean "tell the customer what
> DSCP/whatever settings you honor, and let them do the
> marking" right?  The thought of letting customers
> actually make changes to my edge routers would keep me
> up at night...

To let customers decide priorities in your backbone is a bad idea, but I
don't think that's the issue here. Assuming the customer's link to the
network to be the primary bottleneck; there's nothing wrong with giving
customers the ability to prioritise traffic on their link, provided that
your access-equipment is able to handle queueing etc (given fool-proof
mechanisms that enable self-service and keep your NOC out of the loop of
course;).

//per
--
  Per Heldal