Let's talk about ICANN

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Mon Dec 12 06:24:25 2005

I'm surprised that I've yet to see any mention here on NANOG about the
Internet Governance Forum discussions that were held at the WSIS /
United Nations summit in Tunisia a few weeks ago.  From my reading of
the various articles, it appears that the EU together with some
developing nations wanted to wrest "control of the Internet" away from
the US and ICANN. Was everyone unaware of this, or were you just
counting on Vint Cerf to talk sense into the delegates from the other
countries?

<http://news.com.com/U.N.+says+its+plans+are+misunderstood/2008-1028_3-5959117.html>

Then there was ICANN's sudden delay of discussion/approval of .xxx:

<http://news.google.com/news?q=icann+xxx>

followed by their approval of .asia:

http://news.google.com/news?q=icann+asia

Is anyone here paying any attention to any of this?

jc