Re: Clueless anti-virus products/vendors (was Re: Sober)

  • From: Jamie C. Pole
  • Date: Sun Dec 04 23:26:22 2005

An even more cynical way would be to say that most antivirus companies aren't in the business of analyzing viruses - they are in the business of selling antivirus software.

I believe that is the fundamental problem.

Jamie

--
Jamie C. Pole
jpole@jcpa.com

InfoSec / InfoWar / Forensics

On Dec 4, 2005, at 11:18 PM, Edward B. Dreger wrote:

SMB> Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:04:52 -0500
SMB> From: Steven M. Bellovin

SMB> A-V companies are in the business of analyzing viruses. They should
SMB> *know* how a particular virus behaves.

The cynical would say they _do_ know, and "accidental" backscatter is a
way to advertise their products. ;-)

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/