Re: QoS for ADSL customers

  • From: Miquel van Smoorenburg
  • Date: Fri Dec 02 07:02:56 2005
  • Newsgroups: lists.nanog

In article <cistron.e05f39290511290324l761e676dm2cf141344c966a99@mail.gmail.com>,
Kim Onnel  <karim.adel@gmail.com> wrote:
>We have Juniper ERX as BRAS for ADSL
>Our humble approach was to collect some p2p ports and police traffic to
>these ports, but the traffic wasnt much, one other thing is rate-limiting
>per ADSL customers IPs, but that wasnt supported by management, so we
>thought of matching ADSL www traffic and doing exceed action is transmit,
>and police other IP traffic.
>
>Doing so on the ERX wasnt a nice experience, so we're trying to do it on the
>cisco.

The ERX really has good CoS and QoS controls (not NBAR though AFAIK).
It can do it all in hardware, I've heard a lot of good things about
it from people who actually use it. If you have a support contract
just ask if you can spend a day in a Juniper lab with an engineer
to learn how it works (Juniper here in NL definitely does that).

Mike.