Re: Outbound mail filtering on large mail / web server farms - just an idea or two that I have

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Mon Nov 21 01:22:30 2005

On 11/21/05, Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com> wrote:
> Oh I understand the concept perfectly well.  It's just that I can't see
> through to an implementation easily.  The system I'm referring to has no
> internal way of telling the difference easily between forwarded mail and
> 'other' mail, it's all passed into the same set of virtual tables and the
> only difference is local versus remote delivery.  I can't classify .forward

Separate your MXs from your outbound servers

And have local traffic rewritten to an internal domain (say
wgops.com.internal) just for local delivery .. all other outbound
traffic on your MXs can be assumed to be either

* Bounces  [route em out of a separate host as well - tracking those
helps block a ton of spam]

* Forwarded emails

Your outbounds of course go out via a separate set of boxes.

Multiple machines. Or multiple postfix instances on the same box. Whatever

--srs