Re: Networking Pearl Harbor in the Making

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Mon Nov 07 12:21:23 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

> > How so? Haven't we recently seen an across the board bug in
> > multiple version of $vendor code?
>
> And that's evidence of what other than nobody is willing to pay for what it
> takes to get better code out of $vendor?
>
> Code can be built better.  It just isn't always economical to do so.

In some business models.

Financial reports regularly hint that $vendor has margins far exceeding the
costs necessity to clean up security-critical code.  When the aggregate
margins drop thanks to folks choosing $vendor2 because $vendor has decided
to let security flaws stew, it's time for $vendor to reevaluate that
business model -- at least a little.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>