Re: BGP terminology question

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sun Nov 06 14:06:25 2005

On Nov 6, 2005, at 1:05 PM, NetSecGuy wrote:

I asked this question on inet-access and it was suggested I try NANOG.

I understand BGP flapping to be announcements followed by withdraws over a short period. I am seeing a peer with a large number of announcements and the normal number of withdraws. Is there a term to describe what I am seeing? I'd like to understand what is happening, but I've been looking for more info and can't seem to find anything. I suspect I am just not using the right words to search.

If there isn't a term, why would a peer announce thousands of time an hour with very few withdraws?
There is a term, it's called "broken".

A peer should never announce a route it has already announced unless that route is withdrawn. (If the session goes down or is reset, that counts as a withdrawal.)

--
TTFN,
patrick