RE: New Rules On Internet Wiretapping Challenged

  • From: Wayne Gustavus (nanog)
  • Date: Thu Nov 03 13:20:27 2005

> The 1994 law "will have a devastating impact on the whole model of
> technical innovation on the Internet," said John Morris, staff counsel
> for the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington, which filed
> an appeal of the rules with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District
> of Columbia Circuit yesterday.
>
> "The Internet evolves through many tens of thousands, or hundreds of
> thousands, of innovators coming up with brand new ideas," he
> said. "That
> is exactly what will be squelched."

Implementation of the mechanisms for compliance is relatively
straightforward.
Depending on how scalable and/or automated the mechanisms are, the
complexity
certainly increases.  However, I hardly agree that including these
requirements
in the design of the network hardware or architecture equates to the
'squelching'
of innovation or a 'devastating impact' on the Internet.  Especially
when
compared to the alternative of providing an unfettered command & control

communications network for the miscreants.

Wayne Gustavus, CCIE #7426
IP Operations Support
Verizon Internet Services
"Can you ping me now?  Good!"