RE: [eng/rtg] changing loopbacks

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Thu Sep 29 15:24:41 2005

> this is my fear.  which is why i asked.  pushing out new
> configs (the canonic config is on disk, not the router [0])
> and setting a reload of a bunch of routers at time t0 does
> not give me warm fuzzies about what the world will be like at
> time tn (n > 0).
>
> but i may have to take that path.  i am hoping folk will give
> me a magic pill.  after all, any group with such a deep
> understanding of how to deal with the world's social ills
> must know a bit of router magic <smirk>.

I think with OSPF this will be very difficult to
do without rebooting (or as long an outage as rebooting).
We migrated from OSPF to IS-IS and changed some loopbacks a
while ago, the IS-IS change was totally transparent - no issue,
but on the change of loopback caused a lot of BGP churn.
It was easier to change it and reboot and do
it over a period of time in small network triangles.

I always thought that the billing system was the database
of record ;-)

Neil.