RE: Turkey has switched Root-Servers

  • From: Tony Hain
  • Date: Wed Sep 28 20:07:39 2005

Tony Li wrote:
> > .com is an abomination, as are the other gTLDs to a lesser
> > extent.  .gov,
> > .mil, .edu, .info, and .biz need to be shifted under .us
> > immediately, and
> > everyone under .com, .net, and .org needs to be gradually moved
> > under the
> > appropriate part of the real DNS tree.  I can live with .int
> > continuing on,
> > but only because no better solution immediately comes to mind.
>

> Actually, I think you've got it backwards. .us and all of the other
> country-specific TLDs are the last vestiges of nationalism.  The
> Internet is only the second piece of truly global infrastructure.  As
> a key component in the ongoing trend towards a unified global
> administration, we should do what we can to encourage cooperation and
> equality across borders, not intensify their differences.

In general I agree with you. The primary exception being that if national
political interests want to press for local rules about specific strings
(like XXX) then those national interests belong in their designated part of
the name space. Polluting the global space with nationally inconsistent
rules about use will not help.

Tony