Crews Survey Rita's Damage

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Sun Sep 25 19:49:57 2005

Reuters:

[snip]

Joe Chandler, spokesman for BellSouth Corp., said about 560,000 customers were without service, mainly in northern Louisiana and northern Mississippi. He said crews already were out in areas that weren't severely flooded.

"A lot of these lines are affected by loss of power," Chandler said. "Once power is restored, you'll see our outages go down."

San Antonio-based SBC Communications Inc. said on its Web site that its core network in Texas "is fully functional, with the exception of a small central office in Sabine Pass," near hard-hit Port Arthur.

Mark Siegel of Cingular Wireless said that "well over half of our sites are up" in Texas and Louisiana.

[snip]

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050925/ap_on_bi_ge/rita_phones_hk3

... and record high temperatures in this part of the country
today -- it's 107 F in Austin today...

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson