Re: PBR needing to hit the cpu?

  • From: Tony Li
  • Date: Sun Sep 18 02:41:31 2005

On Sep 17, 2005, at 8:57 PM, David Hubbard wrote:
Just curious, do most vendors' hardware need to hit the
cpu when doing policy-based routing?  I found one of my
border routers' cpu's on the bad end of a DDoS but once
I turned off a not necessarily required setup to force
some outbound traffic to take a specific outbound link
via PBR, the DDoS traffic was no longer an issue.  It was
only about 200 Mbit so I hadn't expected it to be an issue
but apparently it was; I was surprised when support told
me the PBR was making traffic hit the cpu.

That's not at all surprising. PBR would be pretty hard to push into a hardware forwarding path.
Not impossible, but certainly challenging.

Tony