Re: image stream routers

  • From: tony sarendal
  • Date: Sat Sep 17 14:26:11 2005

On 17/09/05, tony sarendal <dualcyclone@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/09/05, sthaug@nethelp.no <sthaug@nethelp.no> wrote:
> > > A collegue smartbits tested a 1GHz pc, with a full feed and 250k
> > > simoultaneons flows it managed around 250kpps. This also with freebsd
> > > and device polling. It sounds to me like a software based machine can
> > > be plenty fast with good code under the hood.
> >
> > Sorry, in today's world of high-end routers 250kpps doesn't qualify as
> > "plenty fast". Can your box do linerate Gigabit Ethernet with minimum
> > size packets, on several ports simultaneously?
> >

> I didn't say that a 250kpps box was a high-end box.
> One reliable Mpps is not high-end either, but it can carry quite a lot
> of Mbps. What is C or M price for a reliable full feed Mpps ?
>
> "My" high-end boxes never manage to impress me with their pps
> capability before I'm disapointed in their reliability.

I'll reply to myself before Steinar does =)

>It sounds to me like a software based machine can
> be plenty fast with good code under the hood.

In my experience a datacenter pumping out 1Gbps is usually doing
200-250kpps in that direction. Considering this a box capable of
around 1Mbps is "plenty fast".

pps/$ would be pretty good if I could use those in real life...

/Tony

--
Tony Sarendal - dualcyclone@gmail.com
IP/Unix