Re: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Mon Sep 12 09:15:22 2005

On 12-sep-2005, at 13:28, Randy Bush wrote:

8% seems high to me as well

not by much more than O(10^1) :-).
Hm, 10^1... so it's 0.8%?

those who see full stats at ixes, v4/6 isps, etc will tell you that actual v6 traffic is miniscule.
Which is not very surprising. Even if 10% of all clients and servers were IPv6-enabled, that would only result in 1% IPv6 traffic. And even on hosts that support IPv6, the bandwidth hogs (p2p apps) generally don't support IPv6.

(FYI: about 1.8% of the DNS traffic to/from my server (excluding my own requests) is IPv6.)