New Orleans Comm Needs

  • From: Jerry Dixon
  • Date: Sat Sep 03 07:06:31 2005

I don't know how many of you have a Ham license but see
below:

In talking with communication providers in the region they
just now got satellite phones and in process of assessing
and repairing communication lines for New Orleans.  They're
still somewhat challenged with comms including at shelters.
See the request below from ARRL.

There is an HF net setup and efforts under way by NCS down
there.

-Jerry

http://www.arrl.org

Attention All Amateurs...
 Amateur Radio emergency communication volunteers needed!
(Sep 2, 2005) -- The ARRL now is seeking experienced Amateur
Radio emergency volunteers to help supplement communication
for American Red Cross feeding and sheltering operations in
Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle--as many as
200 locations in all. Special consideration will be given to
operators who have successfully completed the ARRL Amateur
Radio Emergency Communications course training (Level I
minimum) to serve as team leaders. These volunteer operators
will help to provide communication and equipment for relief
efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. If you're
interested and qualified, please send an e-mail message to
Katrina@arrl.org, providing name, call sign, contact
information and any equipment you're willing and able to
take along on a field deployment for an indefinite period.
Volunteers may face hardship conditions without the usual
amenities and will need to provide their own transportation
to the marshaling area.