Re: ISP's In Uproar Over Verizon-MCI Merger

  • From: Larry Smith
  • Date: Tue Aug 23 20:12:49 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 17:52, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:
> And just to make life more fun, it looks like there's an effort
> afoot to get VoIP consumers to pay (read: tax) into the USF:
>
> New taxes could slam Net phone users
> http://news.com.com/New+taxes+could+slam+Net+phone+users/2100-7352_3-584223
>7.html
>
> So, aren't you glad that life isn't boring?  ;-)

Well, if my reading of the FCC ruling is correct, in 270 days (from the date
of the ruling) the ILEC's will not be paying any USF fees on broadband
anymore, since cable does not have to pay, so they have already stated they
are "reviewing" options for alternate funding.  Gee, Why not VOIP.....

--
Larry Smith
SysAd ECSIS.NET